Wednesday, September 24, 2008

BabyDoll Angel...

Well, I guess I should start at the beginning. My first memories of my life and childhood were about my grandparents, my babysitter, and believe it or not, my biological father, Lee. By the time I was three or four, my mother was a single, very hard working, goal oriented, (and Beautiful, if I might add! and still is to this day!!) mother.


I spent most of the week at my babysitter's house, or she would come to our house. First it was, "Cocoa, toast and cereal" for breakfast, tuna or macaroni for lunch (I was the "official taste tester"!), a nap in front of the fan on the floor (still can't sleep without a fan - who needs a blankie?) and then do it all over again the next day.

On the weekends, I went to my grandparents' houses. I now think it was because my dad lived with his parents and he was supposed to have visitation. Sometimes he was there and for the most part he wasn't. But I certainly remember the times he was!!

On the one hand, I saw things that NO child should EVER see...the fights, the drunkedness, and it was all out in the open. My brother knew the telephone number for the police department (we didn't have 911 back then!) by heart. It became a weekend ritual.

On the other hand, when Daddy was sober, I had so much fun. He was attentive, caring, and so focused on teaching me things like how to express my opinions. He was so very intelligent when he wasn't drinking. I learned important things by the time I was four or five like how to order a cherry in my coca-cola, how to make a great Chef-boy-ardee pizza, why you should always eat an appple when you have popcorn, you know, the IMPORTANT things!

Hebrews 12:9 "Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence:..." Yes, the Bible requires us to be reverent to our "fleshly" fathers. In spite of all of Daddy's flaws, there was always respect, reverence, and obedience.

I was his "Baby Doll Angel" and Andy (my brother) was "Butch". No one ever called us those names except Daddy. Until,...I met Dennis, my husband. He used to tell me that I was such a doll. I think I would cringe when he would call me that. He is so observant that he realized it upset me a little. Now he calls me "Baby".

Several years ago when I first got an internet account, my daughter, Cristie helped me set it up. I thought she was so clever to come up with the name "Denzdoll". Get it? (so many people don't, that is why I'm blogging about it - Ha). Well, it's "Den (Dennis) z ('s) Doll (me)!!!!! I've had so many people ask me about that screen name and when I explain it, some feel dumb for NOT getting it because it really is CLEAR! But, NO, Dennis does NOT refer to me as, "Denzdoll"!


No comments: